4 cups blueberries, cherries, raspberries, or blackberrie
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup thawed, unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry oats
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (the zest)
1 teaspoon thawed orange juice concentrate
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter or canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8" x 8"x 2" pan lightly with nonstick vegetable coating and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine berries, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour and apple juice concentrate and toss until fruit is well coated. Pour into prepared pan and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine remaining flour, oats, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, orange peel, juice and spices. Gradually stir in melted butter (or oil) and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings
Each piece contains:
6 g fat
35 g carbohydrate
3 g protein
182 mg sodium
Note: Water-packed fruit performs nicely, too. Drain before slicing.
Good Ol' Lemonade
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups water
Makes 8 servings
Each cupful contains:
18 gm carbohydrate
trace fat, protein, and sodium
Classic Banana Bread
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-3/4 to 2 cups)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup fructose
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 5-by-9-inch bread pan with nonstick vegetable coating.
2. In a large bowl, combine bananas, vanilla, egg and fructose and mix well. In another bowl, combine flour and baking powder and mix well.
3. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and mix lightly. Add melted butter and mix until moistened.
4. Pour in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Makes 16 servings.
Each slice contains:
15 g carbohydrate
2 g fat
13 mg cholesterol
2 g protein
89 mg sodium