Kettlebell Turkish Get Up
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:20pm
510 calories per hour
(based on a body weight of 150 lbs.)
Secondary Muscles Trained:
1. Lie on your back and lift the kettlebell over one shoulder to a locked out position. If using one arm to get into position, press that shoulder down to the ground before pushing up.
2. The leg on the same side of the kettlebell has the heel pressed into the ground.
3. With head up, looking straight above the kettlebell, roll to the opposite side, balancing your body with your free forearm and arm, pressing with the heel of your foot to reach a sit up position.
4. The arm with the kettlebell stays straight and your head stays up as you brace yourself with your free hand.
5. Press your bracing shoulder down and away.
6. Raise your hips by pressing off the heel of your bent leg to create space for the straight leg to swing under and reach a kneeling position. Keep your free hand down to brace your position. Arm with kettlebell stays straight up in the air above your shoulder.
7. Press off your free hand to straighten up to a one-knee position.
8. Making sure your knee is at about a 90-degree angle, press off the heel and the use the knee that's on the ground to push off and up to a standing position.
9. For a complete exercise, reverse all steps to returning to the starting position.